Global education community reaches new milestone of 1.5 million
Atlanta, GA (November 6, 2012) – Promethean, a global education company, announced today a new milestone as Promethean Planet logs 1.5 million educators worldwide – up 50% from just 16 months ago. The collaborative online community is dedicated to improving teaching and learning via interactive technology and is home to more than 67,000 education resources, activities, images and videos across a variety of topics including poetry, counting, inventions, ocean life, health and more.
“Teachers want students to be engaged and motivated to learn, but sometimes they don’t have access to the lessons or activities to bring lessons alive in the classroom. On Planet, they can build engaging lessons and change the way teaching and learning is delivered by using digital content and interactive technology to motivate and engage students,” said Brent Taggart, President of Promethean Community & Content. “The collaborative nature of our community also encourages educators to share lessons, exchange best practices, participate in professional development activities anytime, anywhere.”
Established just over 6 years ago, the community is used by educators in more than 150 countries. The community is a worldwide library of 67,000 free and publisher-supplied educational resources from 63 world-class arts, science and education organizations such as NIA/NASA, the National Theatre, Georgia Aquarium and the Royal Geographic Society.
While it began as a community for users of Promethean technology, it has grown to now include members with a wide variety of classroom and technology experiences. The more than 700 blog News Articles or videos offer just-in-time advice or tips on delivering engaging lessons for today’s digital natives.
Promethean Planet facts:
- Promethean Planet started in July 2006 with 500 lessons contributed by schools in the US and UK.
- In January 2008, Promethean Planet launched its first foreign language site in French. This was followed by sites in Italian (January 2009), German (June 2009), Portuguese, Chinese, Russian, Spanish and Arabic (Autumn 2009), Finnish (February 2010), Dutch (April 2010), and even Kazakh (October 2010)
- In June 2010, provided members with 1GB of secure and free, cloud-based storage.
- Promethean Planet has won several awards including: Worlddidac (2008 and 2010) and CODiE (2011).
- In July 2011, Promethean Planet reached 1 million members worldwide.
– ENDS –
Promethean. Spark Inspiration.
Promethean (LSE: PRW) is a global education company. We create, develop, supply and support interactive education and training solutions for schools, businesses and governments. Our products and services are raising learning standards, revolutionizing the way people learn and collaborate, making them more engaged, empowered and successful and thereby unleashing human potential. Headquartered in the UK, Promethean World Plc is listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange. More information about Promethean is available at: www.PrometheanWorld.com.
Follow us online:
· Promethean Planet: https://www.prometheanplanet.com
· Promethean Planet blog: https://community.prometheanplanet.com/en/blog/default.aspx
· Promethean Planet on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PrometheanPlanet
· Promethean on Twitter: @ActivNews, @PrometheanUSA, @PrometheanTweet, @planet_tweets
Promethean Press Inquires
Tel: +001 678-762-4568
Mobile: +001 540-270-7819
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 (0)1254 290 739
Mobile: +44 (0)7800 662680
Email: [email protected]